Get Free Tax Prep Assistance with VITA


Each year, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free, face-to-face tax help to people with low-to-moderate income. Tax returns can provide a great start to a down-payment on a home, help pay down debt or finance home repairs.

IRS-tax law certified volunteers provide this free service with electronic filing to all people who qualify. Appointments are taken BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Below you will find what you need to bring as well as a list of current VITA Sites in the Milwaukee-area.

What to Bring:

  • Proof of Identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identificaiton Number (ITIN)
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for ITIN
  • Birth dates for all on tax return
  • If married filing jointly, both spouses must be present
  • All forms: W-2, W-2G, 1099 and 1098
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state tax return
  • If choosing direct deposit, proof of bank account (voided check) and routing number
  • Total paid to daycare provider and their tax ID
  • Health Insurance exemption certificate, if received
  • All forms 1095 Health Insurance statements


  • Journey House
    2110 W Scott St.
    Milwaukee, WI 53204
    (414) 647-0548
  • La Casa de Esperanza
    410 Arcadian Ave
    Waukesha, WI 53186
    (262) 832-1565
  • Riverworks Development Corp.
    526 E. Concordia Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI 53212
    (414) 906-9560
  • Social Development Commission – Main Office
    1730 W. North Ave.
    Milwaukee, WI 53206
    (414) 206-2262
  • Social Development Commission – Community Health Center
    2906 S 20th St.
    Milwaukee, WI 53215
    (414) 206-2262
  • Social Development Commission – Teutonia
    6848 Teutonia Ave
    Milwaukee, WI 53209
    (414) 206-2262