The purpose of the Milwaukee County Mortgage Assistance Program is to aid in foreclosure prevention by providing emergency assistance in the form of a grant on behalf of Milwaukee County homeowners who are delinquent in their mortgage payments due to job loss or reduced work hours and wages as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Housing Resources, Inc. is accepting applications for Milwaukee County Mortgage Assistance through December 17, 2021.
Amount of Assistance Provided
Depending on eligibility and date of income interruption, direct one-time assistance on behalf of the homeowner(s) may be provided for up to six (6) months. Missed mortgage payments starting March 1, 2020 will be reviewed to the date of application. Additional payments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
IMPORTANT: Before you apply for mortgage assistance, please review the following eligibility guidelines and a list of the required documents.
Eligibility for Assistance
- A property must be all of the following:
- An owner-occupied dwelling consisting of one to four separate units; and
- Secured by a mortgage; and
- Located in Milwaukee County.
- Assistance may be provided on behalf of a homeowner when the following eligibility criteria have been demonstrated:
- The homeowner(s) must have experienced a loss of income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic after March 1, 2020 and be able to document the income loss.
- The homeowner(s) applicant must hold legal title to the property for which they are requesting assistance.
- Mortgage payments for which assistance is requested must be at least 30 days delinquent at the time of application and due between March 2020 and December 2020.
- The mortgage(s) for which assistance is requested must be a first or second mortgage on the property.
- The homeowner(s) must have an annualized current household income of no more than 80% of the Area Median Income as defined in guidelines published by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The following must be included with the submitted application.
- Photocopy or photo of driver’s license or state issued ID
- Most recent mortgage statement (no more than 30 days old) that includes address & phone number of mortgage company
- Documentation of financial hardship (termination notice, lay-off notice, letter indicating place of employment closing, etc.)
These documents are available in the application. They will need to be downloaded, completed and uploaded into your application:
- Income and Housing Attestation
- HRI Authorization form
- Forbearance Disclosure (if applicable)
Applicants will be able to start the application process for MCMAP and upload the required documentation thorough ZoomGrants a web-based application system. Applying for mortgage assistance will be done in a two-step process.
STEP ONE: Create an account and complete a pre-application which consists of 5 questions and will let us know quickly if you qualify to complete a full application. Once the pre-application is approved by HRI, homeowners will be notified via email within 48 hours and they can login to complete the full application.
STEP TWO: Complete the full application and attach all required documents prior to submission. All documentation submitted is kept strictly confidential.
Submitting an application does NOT guarantee funding.
Application decisions will be made as soon as possible, but no later than 2 weeks from receipt of the completed application. Applicants will receive an email notification of the decision.
Grants will be processed as quickly as possible, but no more than 30 days from receipt of completed application. Payments will be sent directly to the homeowners’ mortgage company.
Still Have Questions?
Check out the Frequently Asked Questions
You can also contact the Mortgage Help Line at 414-369-6914 or email email@example.com.